A guide on uniform tax refunds and how to claim them back

If you wear any type of recognisable uniform at work and you have to either clean, wash, repair or replace it yourself you may be able to reclaim £100s of tax for up to five years of your expenses.
It doesn’t have to be a full uniform, it could perhaps be just a branded t-shirt with a logo on, or it could be that you’re in a fully uniformed job like the police force or a pilot.
Around 2 in 3 employees who wear a uniform at work are entitled to a tax rebate.

How to Know if you’re Eligible?

To be able to claim tax relief the following must apply:

  • You have a recognisable uniform. E.g. branded polo shirt or a nurse or pilot uniform.
  • You are required by your employer to wear this uniform when you’re at work.
  • You have to purchase, wash or repair it yourself. (You are ineligible if your employer washes your uniform or provides facilities that enable you to do so).
  • You paid income tax in the year that you’re claiming for.

Other Helpful Information
Those in the armed forces shouldn’t need to go through this process. The cost of being able to maintain uniforms for those that serve is usually dealt with via their tax code. Their tax-free personal allowance will be raised to compensate.

For those in the uniformed services (Fire Service, Ambulance Service, Police Force, Border Force etc), each force has its own arrangement so it is advisable to check what your force does.
For those who are self-employed you can claim laundry and uniform expenses when filing in your self-assessment tax return.

To find out more download our comprehensive, step by step guide